- Download the package from SimplifyMedia Downloads.
- Unpack the contents to a folder
tar zxfv simplifymedia.tar.gz
- Install all necessary debian packages to get the SimplifyMedia server running
aptitude install libavahi-client3 libavahi-common3 libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-core5 libc6 libdaemon0 libdbus-1-3 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libidn11 libpng12-0 libssl0.9.8 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxau6 libxdmcp6 libxext6 zlib1g
- First you need to register for an account, start the SimplifyMedia GUI and enter all needed details. After registering close the GUI.
- Start the simplifymedia server using the newly created credentials
simplifyserver/simplifyserver.sh -n USER -l HomeTest -p PASSWD -s /home/media/Music/
- Now the server will start scanning your folders, and soon publish the location.
- I'm using the Winamp plugin on my Windows XP laptop, and many of the files does not played when selected. This is a major issue, but I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.
- The server did not find all my mp3's, it's currently missing 15% of my files.
- Even though I'm almost sitting next to the server (using Wlan) the playback stutters sometimes.
- There is no daemon support, so I need to fix something.
- The password is shown in clear text when doing a ps aux
I was more impressed when reading about it than now after I've used it. The problems that it can not find all files, not able to play all files on a client; are a little too much for me to accept. But hopefully it will improve and become something great!